Phishing is one of the biggest threats that an organization faces today. According to a report. DMARC has already proven hugely beneficial for organizations looking to protect their brand and customers. According to this report valid DMARC policies published in the DNS increased by 250% in 2018.
DMARC is the new and biggest breakthrough in email encryption, a technological framework that helps protect email senders and recipients against spam, spoofing and phishing. It is based on two existing email standards: SPF and DKIM.
SPF – SPF is a DNS text entry which displays a collection of servers that should be permitted to send mail for a specific domain. It enforce the principle that the list of people is authoritative for the domain, since the owners/administrators are the only people allowed to add / change the key domain. Hosts are permitted to use a particular domain name is published in the Domain Name System (DNS) records for that domain, as a TXT record. Mail receivers can use that records to check the authorisation. SPF’s advantage is the receiver can then use the sender’s domain to determine email acceptance or rejection.
DKIM – DKIM is a signature-based Email Authentication technique. It is the result of merging the DomainKeys and Identified Internet Mail specifications.It allows a domain owner to tag and email message with a digital signature. Verification of the email is done using the signer’s public key, which is published in the DNS. A valid signature ensures that at some part of the email have not been modified since the signature was attached.
DMARC has three settings: monitor; quarantine; and reject, and organisations decide how they want to hande unauthenticated emails.To know more about how DMARC works, check out our blog on DMARC.
How it protects organization from Phishing?
- DMARC confirms if the received email is real or not. Before DMARC it was unstable as some of the legitimate mails are tagged in spams.
- DMARC creates consistency for dealing with messages that fail to authenticate.This helps the mail ecosystem as a whole become more secure and more trustworthy.
- Publishing a DMARC record protects brands reputation by stopping unauthorised hosts from sending mail on behalf of your domain.
- DMARC reports give you visibility of who is sending mail from your domain.
- It increases control and security.
Implementing DMARC on your organization’s mail servers domains is the first step to protecting your enterprise from phishing attacks. To ease up the implementation we offer DMARC+ solution, which provides easy implementation dashboard which can your journey easy.